Skip to content

Getting Started

The links below provide information about the activities you need to complete during your first days in your new position. Some activities may be completed by your department staff, but are included here for completeness. Contact your department administrator if you have any questions.

Jump to topic


Access and Security

ID Badging Expand answer

Hours: 12:30 to 4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays; 7 a.m. to noon Thursdays; 8 a.m. to noon Fridays; no appointment needed.


Office: CG608

Phone: 717-531-3548

Parking Services Expand answer

Hours: 12:30 to 4 p.m. Mondays; 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays; 7 a.m. to noon Thursdays; 8 a.m. to noon Fridays; no appointment needed.

Details: Traffic and Parking website (internal users only; login required)

Office: CG608

Phone: 717-531-3713

Keys Expand answer

To begin key process: Your department access control designate must complete a key request form and email it to Keys are ready within 3 days. Inquire with your department’s administrative assistant to find your access control designate.

Office: CG639

Phone: 717-531-5396

Safety Training Expand answer

Complete online training: The Online Safety Training Program offers a variety of mandatory trainings. (internal users only; login required) 


Benefits Expand answer

College of Medicine: Employee Benefits via (applies to all faculty and postdocs)

  • Health insurance plans: Medical, dental, vision, prescription
  • Time off
  • Retirement
  • Educational discount

Penn State Health/Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center: Employee Benefits via Infonet (internal users only; login required; applies to clinical staff)

Human Resources Expand answer

University: University Office of Human Resources

College: New hires should schedule a one-hour appointment with Jill Curry in the College of Medicine Office of Human Resources during their starting week. Call 717-531-8081 or email

Lab Coats Expand answer

Purchase Request Form: Lab coat style and size information, as well as a purchase request form, are available on the Linen Services website (internal users only; login required).

To try on lab coats: Go to room TG503, ground floor, Cancer Institute. Enter combination code 8320* to enter room; sample
coats are in cabinet.

Office: CG708

Phone: 717-531-8321

Employee Health Expand answer

To do: Schedule employee health check appointment

Phone: 717-531-8280


Business Cards Expand answer

To order: Visit Printing Services website

Phone: 717-531-8607

Nameplate and Holder Expand answer

To order: Order name plate holder and name plate for office door through the Sign Shop website (internal users only; login required)

Faculty Picture Expand answer

White coat is required for faculty photos

Make an appointment: Photography website (internal users only; login required)
Office: CG618
Phone: 717-531-8110


Office Phone Expand answer

To establish number: Call Information Technology (IT)

Phone: 717-531-6281

Business Cell Phone Phone Purchasing Program Expand answer

Details: Supply Chain website (internal users only; login required)

IT Account Request Expand answer

Password pickup: Passwords can be picked up at the Harrell Health Sciences Library with ID Badge after notification

To gain access: Complete IT Account Request Form and have supervisor sign (internal users only; login required)

Websites Expand answer

Penn State Research Portal: Elsevier’s Pure tool captures and displays the research output of the University, both for investigators and units. Learn more about Pure and request updates here.

Public-facing websites: All of our public-facing websites are centrally managed through the Web Solutions team. To request an update to a website, use this form.

The centrally managed websites include, but are not limited to:

Creating a lab website: In certain circumstances, investigators are permitted to create lab pages using, a University tool. Requests to use Sites must receive approval from Web Solutions, which should be submitted via the web request form.

General website questions: Email

P.O. Box Expand answer

For additions, changes, deletions: Email requests to Sam Louder in the Mail Room at

Include: Employee Name, Department, Mail Code and Phone Extension

Office: CG701

Phone: 717-531-8499

For Researchers Only: Researcher Requirements

Contracts and Grants Expand answer

Faculty who wish to transfer grants or contracts to Penn State College of Medicine must work with the Office of Research Affairs to ensure a timely transition. 

Learn more about Research Affairs

Phone: 717-531-8495

Email: or

Human-Subject Studies Expand answer

Institutional Review Board (IRB) Protocols: The incoming principal investigator must contact the IRB with all human subject protocol material, including the transfer of research studies to Penn State College of Medicine. In any situation, the IRB must also be notified in circumstances requiring the transfer of data or specimens.

Learn more about the IRB/HSPO

Clinical Research Records: All current records and data collected and transferred to the College of Medicine in conduct of a clinical research study must contact the Clinical Trials Office prior to arrival.

Learn more about the Clinical Trials Office

Research Data Expand answer

Research Data Use and Transfer: New faculty need to provide list of data (e.g., laboratory data, clinical research data, etc.) to the Office of Research Affairs to negotiate a data transfer agreement from their current institution to Penn State College of Medicine. For transfer of clinical data, consultation with the IRB and IT security is required.

Request a Data Use Agreement

With questions, email

Research Data Disposition: Existing research datasets must be secured based on any agreement that has been negotiated for receipt or creation.

Contact the Office of Research Affairs contracts team for details

dbGaP Controlled Access Data: All applicable laws, local institution policies, and terms and procedures specific to the study’s data access policy for handling dbGaP data will be followed.

Contact the Office of Research Affairs grants team for details

Graduate Students Expand answer

All doctoral students transferring into Penn State College of Medicine are to contact the Office of Graduate Education.

Intellectual Property Expand answer

Faculty who have filed invention disclosure(s) with their previous institution and who plan to continue work related to that disclosure(s) must contact the Center for Medical Innovation prior to arrival.

Laboratory Equipment Expand answer

Faculty wishing to move laboratory equipment from their current institution must contact Penn State College of Medicine’s controller’s office for asset management prior to moving any equipment to Hershey.

Controller’s office phone: 717-531-8500

Laboratory Safety and Compliance Expand answer

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Protocols: Laboratory procedures requiring the use of animals must have approval from Penn State College of Medicine’s IACUC.  

Animal Transfer: Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) must be in place prior to arrival for transfer of animals to the institution.  

Biological Material Transfer: Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) must be negotiated and in place for transfer of any cell lines, samples, or tissues to the College of Medicine and/or Hershey Medical Center.

Biosafety and Recombinant DNA Committee (BRDC) Protocols: All laboratory work involved with biohazards and recombinant DNA must submit a protocol to the BSRD (Biosafety and Recombinant DNA Committee) Biosafety Officer at

Biological Research Samples: A complete inventory of any cell lines, biological or DNA samples or tissues being transferred to the COM/HMC must be sent prior to arriving at the COM, by emailing

Hazardous Chemicals: All hazardous chemicals must be inventoried prior to shipment to the COM.

Radioactive Materials: All radioactive materials must be inventoried, and clearance for training and use is provided by the Health Physics Department.

Learn more about how to contact all these compliance and safety teams.

For Clinicians Only: Training and Compliance

Billing Compliance Training Expand answer

To do: Contact Work Unit Leader to set up an appointment (1.5 hours)

Physician Orientation Expand answer

To do: Enter date/time on physician calendar. 

Details: Contact the Medical Staff Office

Phone: 717-531-7999

Connected (Electronic Medical Records) Expand answer

Online training instructions: CIS website (internal users only; login required)

Phone: 717-531-4807

Radiology Digital Training Expand answer

Online training: One-hour training at Clinical Image Distribution System website to be completed upon hire (internal users only; login required)

Conflict of Interest Training and Disclosure (COINS) Expand answer

Online training:

Contact: Marisa Klein, Conflict of Interest Specialist,

All new faculty members must complete online training and disclosure with the first 30 days after hire date.

Details: Conflict of Interest overview

Phone: 717-531-0003, ext. 283526

Corporate Compliance Training Expand answer

Online training: Corporate Compliance Training (internal users only; login required)

Details: This training is for those providers who use billing/coders and takes 3.5 hours, and must be completed upon hire. Pick the “New Employed Physician” job function.

Human Subjects Protection Training Expand answer

For any faculty or staff involved in IRB studies: Basic Human Subject Protection Training is mandatory.

For faculty members interested in becoming Principal Investigators: Principles of Informed Consent Tutorial should also be taken.

Phone: 717-531-7127

For Clinicians Only: Clinical Resources and Supplies

HOSC Dictation Account Expand answer

To do: Email Shelley Engle requesting her to set up dictation account at Hershey Outpatient Surgery Center.

Scrub Access Expand answer

To do: Use Scrub Suit Request Form on the Linen Services website (internal users only; login required)

Phone: 717-531-8320