A Sustainability Council and several Sustainable Development Goals teams – focused on the environment, equity and health – help to achieve these goals. The council comprises representatives from each Sustainable Development Goals team and from Penn State Health/Penn State College of Medicine at large. Council meetings are an opportunity for team representatives to share ideas and obtain expert advice from representatives of different components of the health system.
Jump to topic
Latest News in Sustainability
Learn More About Sustainability
The Sustainability Council meets at 4 p.m. the first Monday of each month. Meeting locations vary.
For details, email Natasha Sood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sarah Bronson
- Natasha Sood
The Environment Team of the Sustainability Council aims to promote environmental stewardship by advocating for sustainable institutional practices, encouraging future leaders in environmental health and serving as an anchor for education and practice in the community.
- Mark Heisey
- Andrew Geronimo
- Natasha Sood
- Sam Acri
- Hershey Community Garden
- Participation in Pensavy pen and marker recycling program started by student at Mountain View Middle School
The Equity Team of the Sustainability Council aims to create and sustain an inclusive environment that encompasses all mission areas to promote engagement and achievement for all.
- Ellen Miller
- Mary Catherine Santos
- American Medical Women’s Association (for medical students)
- Center for Women’s Health Research
- Graduate Women in Science (GWIS)
- Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS)
- Harrell Library/GWIMS book collection highlighting issues women face in the professional workplace
- LGBTQ and Allies Affinity Resource Network Group
- Office for Culturally Responsive Health Care Education
- Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Penn State Commission for Women (CFW)
- Participation in Time’s Up Healthcare
- Women in Surgery Interest Group (for medical students)
Articles of Interest
The Health Team of the Sustainability Council builds from a foundation of food security and safety and encompasses efforts in access to health care, wellness, activity, mindfulness and well-being in order to improve health for all.
- Greg Holmes
- Susan Veldheer
- College of Medicine wellness initiatives
- Community Health Needs Assessment
- LionCare student-run free health clinic for the uninsured and underinsured population of Harrisburg and Tyrone
- Support of Hershey Food Bank
- University Fitness Center programs
The Sustainability Council in Hershey is related to Penn State’s University-wide Sustainability Institute, which was developed to focus Penn State’s initiatives in pursuit of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Penn State desires to be a leader across the state in creating transdisciplinary research-based solutions to these challenges.
Much of Penn State’s Strategic Plan is aligned with those goals. The plan looks to attain the goals by carefully stewarding natural resources, enhancing health and well-being of students and communities, driving digital innovation and integrating humanities- and arts-based perspectives, and the Sustainability Institute exists to nurture and promote the work being done across the University’s colleges and campuses.