Skip to content

Faculty Titles for Advanced Degree Providers

Advanced degree providers (nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, physician assistants, etc.) who are employed by Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and perform educational services in an academic program(s) of the College of Medicine may be eligible to hold a faculty title in the College of Medicine. These educational services are provided as part of the provider’s staff duties.

A master’s degree is required for an appointment as instructor. A doctoral degree is required for appointment at the rank of assistant professor. For such appointments, the employer remains Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and the faculty title is annually renewable as long as the candidate remains employed by Hershey Medical Center and continues to provide educational services.

A nomination for a faculty title must be made by the department chair of one of the academic departments in the College of Medicine. Faculty and Clinical Workforce Committee (FCWC) approval is not needed for these appointments because no new position is being created.

The process for requesting a faculty title for Medical Center-employed advanced practice providers is as follows:

  • The department chair provides a written request, addressed to the dean, for the non-tenure-line faculty appointment, specifying the effective date and proposed rank.
    • The letter should explain what educational services the candidate provides for an academic program(s) in the College of Medicine.
    • The candidate’s current CV must be attached. The individual’s teaching activities must be specified in the CV.
    • These materials should be emailed to Cindy Devine in the Office of Faculty Affairs.
  • The request will be reviewed in the Office of Faculty Affairs and any questions will be sent to the department chair. The OFA also will coordinate within the College of Nursing, if applicable.
  • When the dean has approved the request, both the candidate and the department chair will be notified of the faculty title in a letter from the Office of Faculty Affairs.

Any questions may be directed to the Office of Faculty Affairs at