Emeritus faculty at the College of Medicine are appointed in recognition of sustained meritorious academic service to the University. Award of Emeritus rank is governed by AC-25 Emeritus Status.
Faculty on phased retirement continue to receive benefits as a full-time employee (only their work hours are reduced). Therefore, as long as the faculty member meets the criteria noted in the policy, phased retirement has no impact on eligibility.
Requesting Emeritus Rank
The process for requesting Emeritus Rank for retiring faculty members at the Penn State College of Medicine is as follows:
- The Department Chair provides a request to the Office of Faculty Affairs, as well as the faculty member’s current CV. This request should be submitted prior to the actual retirement date to ensure a seamless transition to Emeritus status and continuity of faculty privileges. The request letter should address the candidate’s eligibility for Emeritus Rank, as defined in HR25, and should specify the date of retirement. If the Chair is requesting an exception to the eligibility criteria specified in HR25, this should be clearly stated and justified in the letter. Note that requests for exceptions are rarely approved by the University.
- The Office of Faculty Affairs will review and confirm that eligibility requirements are met.
- Upon confirmation and Dean’s review, the Office of Faculty Affairs will notify the Department Chair of the next step in processing the request.
Processing Emeritus Rank Requests after Approval by the Dean
- For individuals employed by Penn State College of Medicine, processing is done through the Penn State Administrative Web Suite (PAWS) system, Workflow Section, Personal Information page. If this indication is not entered appropriately by the department when emeritus rank is to be granted, the letter and certificate sent by the President may be delayed.
- For individuals employed by Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, processing is done by the Office of Faculty Affairs alerting the Office of Human Resources at University Park.
The Dean will review all requests for exceptions, and will decide whether to forward the request to the President of the University, who makes the final decision.
Upon approval at University Park, the President of the University will send a letter to the faculty member notifying that Emeritus status has been granted, along with a certificate. Any space accommodations for the recipient of Emeritus status are determined and coordinated by the Department.